The first Inter-Insular match between Guernsey and Jersey took place in 1931 at the Richmond Hotel in Guernsey on April 23rd.
Played over 16 boards honours were even when the match ended 8 all. The last game did not finish until 11.30pm.
No clocks, adjournments or adjudication in those days! The winning team hold the Hollis Cup presented by Mrs B Hollis in October 1930.
The Winner on the top board is Channel Island Champion and receives the Garde Trophy.
The Winner of the highest board but not top board receives the David Browning Trophy first presented in 1996.
The 50th Inter-Insular was not played until 1987 because there was no competition from 1940 through to 1946.
Appropriately the 1987 match also ended in a tie 8 all.
Prior to the war the number of boards varied but from 1947 onwards the match has always been over 16 boards except for some more recent years.
In 1991 a reserves match was introduced for the Withers Shield